Roman Factory Lamp with Maker’s Mark
An orange terracotta mould-made factory lamp known as Loeschke Type IXb. Characteristicly it features sloping shoulders with two raised lugs. The nozzle channel is partly closed but leads to a large D-shaped nozzle. A lug handle has been added to the rear of the lamp for holding. The base features multiple concentric rings and the slightly eroded maker’s mark, COMVNIS (Com[m]unis).
Stand not included with item.
Circa 75 - 125 ADProvenance:
Found in Cologne. From the collection of Arno Jumpertz, Leverkusen, Germany, 1924-1984. Much of the collection was exhibited at the Neus Museum, 1985.Condition:
Discus missing and damage to one of the side lugs, otherwise Fine condition.
The factory lamp, so named because it was produced in such vast numbers, seems to have been popular with the Roman military. They originated at the time of the Flavian emperors, perhaps when manufacturers needed to produce as many as possible, as quickly as possible.
The maker’s mark signifies that this particular lamp was made by Communis and dates to approximately 75 – 125 AD. Other examples have been found in Britain (London and Colchester) and Germany (Cologne), suggesting a dominant Northern European presence.